LEES+Associates began working with the Government of Northwest Territories (GNWT) in 2018 to create a concept design to enhance North Arm Territorial Park located near Behchoko, NWT along Highway 3 approximately 100kms west of Yellowknife.
The expanded park will include a wide range of amenities in addition to those at the existing Day Use Area. The park plan works to balance the diverse needs of different user groups, including local residents and tourists. Opportunities to support year-round use are an important part of the planning process, and several winter use amenities have been identified offering unique recreational and cultural opportunities during the winter.
Feedback from community and visitors will be used to inform the park concept. As part of the design process LEES+Associates is supporting the GNWT with a public engagement event during which the community will be asked to provide feedback on two park concept options.
The park concept design includes:
- An Improved Day Use Area: Cultural Meeting Building and landscape, washrooms/change rooms, swimming beach, walking trails, picnic sites, nature play area and kitchen shelter.
- A Proposed Campground: RV, tent and walk-in tent campsites with associated amenities designed to be built in several phases starting with 15 campsites in Phase1.
- Recommendations for Accessible Amenities: Washrooms, picnic tables, trails and campsites.
Client/Location:Government of Northwest Territories / NWT (2019)
- Park concept plan to balance the diverse needs of different user groups
- Opportunities to support year-round use
- Public engagement and community involvement and feedback on park concept options
Avens Associates Ltd.