LEES+Associates was commissioned by the Town of Okotoks to provide a full spectrum of design services for the expansion of a cremation garden at Okotoks Cemetery. The project included careful selection of materials and finishes to harmonize with existing aesthetic of the cemetery and its context.
The design includes a new community columbaria walk, in-ground cremation plots with winter interest and low maintenance plantings, a gathering space, seating areas, and a scattering garden. Sculptural weathering steel memorial walls mimic the meanders of the nearby Sheep River and the Okotoks glacial erratic, a well-known local landmark.
Client/Location:Town of Okotoks, AB (2018) / Okotoks, Alberta, Canada
- Community columbaria walk
- Gathering space, seating areas, and a scattering garden
- Sculptural weathering steel memorial walls
- In-ground cremation plots with winter interest and low maintenance plantings
- Hasegawa & Associates Ltd