The Arrow Lakes Recreation Demand Study is one of a series of recreation monitoring and research programs undertaken by LEES+Associates on behalf of BC Hydro.
We collaborated with PhD statisticians and outdoor recreation survey specialists to develop one of the most comprehensive outdoor recreation user surveys undertaken in Canada.
The study included 14 trail counters and 12 surveyors in the field over 5 years using random/stratified selection methods, and led to a predictive use model correlating biophysical conditions with projected recreation use demand.
From 2009-2013 our team was charged with monitoring recreation use patterns on the reservoir through on-site questionnaires and observations, vehicle counts, and on-line surveys. This information was supplemented with weather, geographic and historic water level data. The study results will be used by BC Hydro to guide recreational management, land tenure and reservoir planning decisions.
Client/Location:BC Hydro, BC (2009 - present)
- Recreation monitoring and research and outdoor recreation user surveys
- 14 trail counters and 12 surveyors in the field over 5 years using random/stratified selection methods
- Predictive use model correlating biophysical conditions
- Projected recreation use demand.
- Howie Harshaw, PhD
- Edward (Ted) Thomas Murray, RPF, MSc., BRE
- Doug W. Leavers, B.E.S.